Preparing your entire prom look always starts with the prom dress, and for that you have to have a good head start of at least two months before the prom. A good head start on putting your prom look together, not just your prom dress, will save you from getting stressed out later on whatever details you may have overlooked just because you rushed through your preparations.
The Budget for Your Prom Dress
There are a few things that you need to consider and decide before you turn on your computer and surf for prom dresses that you can buy online. One of these is your budget. How much can you afford to spend on buying a prom dress?
To answer that question, you need to ask your parents how much money they are willing to give you so you could get the elements of your prom look together â€“ your prom dress, your shoes and accessories, your hair and makeup, and other incidental expenses. If the money your parents are allotting you is not enough, or if they are not spending for your prom dress, then you would have to depend on your savings and come up with some extra cash before the prom.
Remember that a prom dress does not have to cost a lot. Regardless of how much you have, you can always get a fabulous prom dress with patient searching and creative thinking.
Deciding What Prom Dress You Want
Once you have the matter of budgeting for your prom dress settled, then you can move on to other details such as what kind of dress you want to wear and what type of dress will suit your figure best.
There are many styles of prom dresses that you can choose from. What dress style would suit you depends largely on what you want and what your body type is. Here is a rundown of some of the basic styles that you can find on prom dresses and what body type they flatter the most:
1. Bubble dress. The bubble dress has a cinched waist and a curved-in hem. Cute and fun, it is great for girls with skinny figures because it gives them the curves they lack. It is also awesome on girls with full figures because it emphasizes the curves they have.
2. Corset dress. The corset dress sports a tightly laced top that is good for creating a fetching cleavage and the illusion of a small waist, especially when matched with a fluffy skirt. A prom dress of this type is good for the full-figured girl, as it embellishes her lovely curves.
3. Column dress. The column dress is great for the slim girl. Its long and straight silhouette flatters her thin build and makes her look taller. For a girl with a fuller figure, this could work if done with a little shirring to hide the problem areas of the body.
4. Empire dress. The empire dress is an excellent choice regardless of body type. The high waist of the empire dress can create curves on a slim girl. On the other hand, its draping skirt can hide unwanted curves on the full-figured girl.
5. Halter dress. The halter dress is perfect for creating a sexy look on prom night regardless of the body type. With a halter dress, the focus is brought to the face rather than to the body. This dress can also reveal more than a little bit of skin.
Going Shopping for Prom Dresses Online
After you have decided what style your prom dress is going to be, then you can start browsing for prom dresses online. Do not buy the first prom dress that you see on the first store that you visit. Just bookmark them and move on.
When searching for a prom dress online, do not limit your search to just retailers specializing in prom dresses. Go ahead and visit the websites of designer boutiques and trendy department stores. If you cannot score a sale there, you would at least get more ideas on the latest trends from visiting their sites. You should also check out retailers that sell secondhand prom dresses of good quality and with the price pulled down.
Always check on the return and exchange policy of the online store before you purchase your prom dress. If it does not have a return and exchange policy, go search for another store.
Most of all, shop only with secure and reliable websites.
Upon Receiving Your Prom Dress
So you have gone and placed your order for your prom dress. The first thing you should do once it is delivered to you is to try it on and check it out. If you think the quality of the prom dress is not up to par with your expectations or it simply does not suit you, go ahead and return the dress. However, if it is only a matter of fit and length, just pay a visit to your local tailor to have your prom dress altered. After all that is done, then you can just wait and look forward to enjoying your prom night.